21 January, 2012

Game Over (Part 5)


Author's note: Finally, I managed to get enough time and inspiration to complete my (long) short story series, Game Over. I had fun writing it, and I hope to continue updating my blog as much as I can. If you haven't read the first four parts yet, you can find them here - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4. Please read the other parts before you start reading this one. 

My mind was blank when the bus I had to board arrived at the bus stop inside the Indianapolis International Airport. I boarded the bus, and occupied a seat nearest to the exit. Being Sunday morning, the bus was almost empty, except for a couple of other people. I didn't mind that. I needed the loneliness and space. I was too numb with fear and anxiety to think about anything. I felt like I was about to explode. That is not to say that I hadn't thought about a logical explanation behind the email I got from Krithika, and what could have happened to her for her to send such an email. But I tried not thinking about it again since all the scenarios that came to my mind ended with either me getting killed or her getting killed. 

After I got the mail, I barely had enough time to check out the address on Google Maps and to figure out how to get there. Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me until after I boarded the bus that I could have actually checked out the building using Street View. The bus ride took about 40 minutes, and I got off the bus at the stop nearest to the address. It was a 10 minute walk from the stop to the address in the email. As I started walking, I took in as much information as I could about the neighborhood. It wasn't particularly crowded, but more importantly, it wasn't empty either. It was mostly a residential neighborhood, with a few seven or eight-story buildings here and there. I could feel my heart beating increasingly faster as I got closer. 

I finally reached the address. It was a house, a really small one at that. There were no cars in the driveway, and the lawn looked like it could use a mower. But I could see signs of inhabitancy inside the house through the windows. I was in half a mind to break in to the house through the windows, but I thought it was better to knock on the door first. And that was exactly what I did. 

Knock knock knock

I waited and tried to hear footsteps, if any, coming from the other side, but I couldn't. A few seconds passed. No answer.

Knock knock knock knock.

I knocked harder. Now I could hear movement from inside the house. And I could distinctly hear footsteps coming towards the door. I tried to prepare myself for the unknown entity to open the door. I suddenly had a distinct feeling of being watched through the peephole in the door. The door opened. It was she who had opened it.

"Krithika, what happened to you? What is this place? Why are.."
"Just come in, Karthik." she interrupted me. "Just come in, and I will tell you everything." Her voice had an eerie feel to it.

I entered the house into what seemed like a living room. It was dark, so I really couldn't see anything.

"Do you remember the date we first met, Karthik?" she asked me, in a soft, mellow voice. Her voice was really creeping me out. It sounded very much unlike her usual bubbly, cheerful voice.
"Yes, of course. It was the 14th of August. Now what does that have to do anything?" I wanted to know.
"And how long have you known me?" 
"Err, around two weeks. Come on, now...."
"Happy birthday, jerk!"she exclaimed, and at the same instant, turned on the lights, and in the middle of the room, was the biggest cake I had ever seen in my life. There were balloons all over the room, and on the cake were written the words 'Happy birthday love!". I had been involved with this stupid girl so much for the past two weeks that I had even forgotten my own birthday. I had lost track of time.

"What the f&*% is all this?" I didn't know if I was angry, happy, relieved or a combination of all three. 
"You don't even remember your own birthday, do you?"
"But, was it really necessary to scare me like this? Don't talk to me ever again!"I was kind of pissed. 
"Awwww, my baby is all angry now." she said in a cuddly voice, and put her arms around me, and gave me that perfect, cute smile. My heart had already began melting.
"I love you." I blurted out. "I love you with all my heart."
"Sshh, I know, you jerk." She put her finger on my lips. I looked into her eyes. I could see the universe swimming inside them. Subconsciously and slowly, our lips started approaching each other. I knew it was going to be the most beautiful kiss ever. 

"Dude!" suddenly I heard my roommate, Suresh's voice. I looked around. I realized I was sitting inside flight number 9W 226 from Brussels en route to JFK, and Suresh was sitting right next to me. "Dude, wake up. It is time to get off the flight." he said.






1 comment: