03 May, 2010

Game Over (Part 3)


If you missed Part 1 and Part 2, read it here and here.

"We are here, at last. In the USA." she said to me and smiled. The same cute smile.
"Yeah." I smiled back.

Once inside the JFK airport, we had to change flights, from a Boeing to the much smaller Embraer jet. Unfortunately, we couldn't get seats next to each other. She seemed more disappointed than me due to that. I had mixed feelings, since this time, it was a hot American chick sitting next to me. I was hoping to somehow start a conversation with her during the flight. She had to sit next to an old lady who kept asking her where she came from and whether all Indians are vegetarians. She kept turning back to look at me helplessly, but stopped when I started giggling uncontrollably every time. She was probably pissed at me for not having tried hard enough to convince the old lady to shift to my seat, so that we could sit together.

The flight landed in Indianapolis soon after, at around 11 pm local time. She glared at me when I walked towards her so that we could gather the baggage together. May be she did notice that I was chatting away happily with the American chick (Sarah was her name, by the way) while I left her to suffer in silence. I offered the biggest and most stupid smile I could manage, and hoped it would work.

"So, a busy flight eh?" her voice was stern, almost authoritative.
"Hmm no. But at least it was more interesting than the previous flight. And a much hotter chick." I grinned.
"You %&$*!@ (insert the worst expletives here) !!" she started off, but I knew she was floored.

We collected all our baggage and sat in one of the couches inside the airport. Being midnight, there was no transportation in and out of the airport. So we had to wait till the first taxi in the morning to go to our respective apartments, her's in Indy and mine in Bloomington. I opened my laptop and was pleasantly surprised to find a free wifi network. So I started replying to all mails and facebook messages that I had got during the two days of my internet deprivation. She hadn't brought her laptop from India, and thus sat opposite me, trying hard to sleep.

"Enough with the internet, jerk. I am bored." she quipped suddenly.
"I thought you were sleeping." I offered an explanation.
"Not able to sleep. Let us do something interesting together."
"Ya? Do you want to play NFS Most Wanted? Or FIFA? They are the most interesting things I have come across." I gave her two options.
"You know what? I am actually glad that you are going to be in Bloomington, and I am going to be in Indy. You are such a jerk." she gave up on me.


And there it started. Just when I thought I had told her my entire life history, and she had told me hers, I was proved wrong. We kept talking, for hours. After close to four hours, she finally got tired of talking and without any notice, lied down on my lap and dozed off. Careful, careful. Don't jump to any conclusions yet, Karthik. Not yet.

To be continued..

4 comments: